Fluid | GLA | LB Newham
Industri[us] is an initiative set up in early 2011 by Fluid and a number of collaborators. It is about helping communities to get back on their feet and grow. It uses vacant sites to bring about positive longer-term changes: social, economic and environmental through a short-term set of activities and events.
As well as setting out to revalue waste materials Industri[us] places the provision of training opportunities, the pursuit of employment and the re-connecting communities at the centre of its operations.
The emerging market for upcycled goods demonstrates that such products can generate considerable value and that people are buying into the idea of “something created out of nothing”. Industri[us] fosters this creative transformation, by providing enterprise opportunities for existing upcyclers and facilitating others to enter the industry.
Working in close collaboration with individuals, organisations and businesses, the initiative aims to build a lasting skills base, promote the sharing of knowledge and strengthen local networks – thereby helping to generate a sustainable local economy.
Outcomes for Canning Town:
- Skilling and transition into employment of 15 NEETs including ex-offenders
- Creation of a major recycling/ upcycling facility working with Groundworks London
- Recycling over 100 tons of plants, trees and pavings from the 2012 Chelsea Flower Show
- An £18,000 commission to ‘Robots Collective’ to work with local youths to build the Robot known as the ‘bot’ of east
- Staging of three major seminars on upcycling and sustainability
- Sponsorship and proactive engagement of Philips lighting on new energy efficient spotlights
- In-kind contributions to the project valued at over £300,000